Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Web 2.0 Optimist

Hmmmm. Am I a Library 2.0 optimist or pessimist? I think I can easily answer that I am an optimist. After watching William Powers, I was even more persuaded that web 2.0 and Library 2.0 is necessary and a wonderful way of communicating. I loved what Powers had to say about the conundrums of new technologies not being anything new--and that people had been through this before with other types of technologies. His message of finding a balance was what I really took away from this week. Michael Stephens asks librarians to "evolve, let go of control, and be visible." He was a great proponent of how libraries are using web 2.0 tools to do these things. I would agree with him that for libraries to stay present we as a group need to meet our customers where they are at--which is partially on the interactive web. When libraries became hyperlinked patrons let librarians know that there needed to be a balance (cell phones in some places--quiet in others). Libraries need web 2.0, but we also need the book, and the conversations.

We need to find a balance in our workplace just as we do in our personal lives as Powers discssed. Library 2.0 needs to be staffed by real people that can "do it all," and meet our users where they are at.

This past couple of weeks has been incredibly busy for me with the start of the school year and grad class. I have found myself on my phone or laptop after my children are in bed, or making movies to upload to You Tube to show my students while my own kids were out at the Farmer's Market. In a sense I have been disconnected from my life. I could blame my busy schedule--or I can start to take responsibility in be need to be connected.

What I saw after supper at my house tonight.
I need to ask myself if I am present in my family life--probably not so much. In fact...I feel a bit of guilt as I sit here and blog while my husband talks to the kids and prepares dinner. Am I ready to declare some unconnected time for me and my family? I think so. As I listened to William  Powers, I really reflected on my connectedness to the world. I thought about a recent article I read in the Huffington Post, What You Don't See in My Instagram Photos (which If I'm totally honest with you I read on my phone found from a link on a high school classmates Facebook Wall). I have a desire to be connected to my friends and family. Sometimes my desire in connecting is make myself notice that my life is good, and in noticing I want to remember. And yet, and yet...maybe I'm missing something. God forbid it is my children growing up, or my relationship with my husband. So I will work on disconnecting, and being present around my kids. I'm going to talk it over with my husband. I'll keep you posted on how it is going. I'm nervous--but excited to reconnect with my whole self and my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment