Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Niche for Everything

"It is now possible to offer a massively expanded variety of products. Simply offering more variety, however, does not shift demand by itself. Consumers must be given ways to find niches that suit their particular needs and interests" (The Long Tail--p. 53).

I believe in supporting local business and the community around me. As I read The Long Tail I couldn't help but think of my own purchasing trends, as an individual and as a librarian. I began to realize that while my personal beliefs point me to local independent stores--there is a reason I keep buying online and through larger retailers. It kind of makes me sad, but I am understanding some of why I buy the way I do--and perhaps what I can do about my purchasing trends.

This massive explosion of the internet abounds. Even when I want to purchase local--it is difficult when finding the niche online is so much easier and convenient. I can purchase a suit for my three year old at 10pm, and have it arrive 3 days later. After multiple trips to local businesses and the mall--with no success, Kid's Formal had all that I needed with a click of my mouse and my credit card number.

On another note, I am not a huge music purchaser--but Apple has my credit card number already, and if I hear a song and I want it, they have found a way for my need to be met quickly. For me to drive to a store to purchase music would probably never happen--but for me to click buy on my phone is easy. Apple has met my needs in a way that would make a purchase happen when otherwise it would not.

As a librarian, I thought about my book buying for my school library. While I have high intentions of shopping at small local stores--it is much easier for me to do otherwise. I purchase most of my materials from Mackin (a local book jobber). I make these selections online. They offer a niche that bookstores cannot. My books come bar coded and library ready. They even have MARC records sent with each book if I desire to use them in my catalog. Mackin fits a niche that other stores cannot. They have reviews for the books I want to purchase and more information than I need. If I have trouble, their customer service is phenomenal. Their prices are also great. It is difficult for me to have similar feelings about smaller stores when I don't get the same services--and it costs more.

There are times when I do purchase in person. As a consumer the has the ability to spend thousands of dollars on books, I expect a certain kind of service. I might not be the biggest buyer that a store has--but I want to be helped and treated well. My local Barnes and Nobel makes it really hard for me to shop around. I know they are BIG business--and yet, they make me feel like it is my neighborhood store. They are trying hard to get that feel. Their children's book workers know me, and they send me free author visits. They upped my district discount to 25% off--and give me freebies to hang in my library. When my school need book donations--they always step up to the plate. I would imagine it is difficult for a small business to match this kind of service and have the same selection.

This idea of the long tail has had me thinking and brewing as the week has progressed. An aha for this week surround the advance of so much selection and the small niches to be filled. I was especially fascinated with the ideas of common experiences experienced by a group of people. We can no longer expect everyone to have watched last nights "Cosby Show."

This morning I was discussing The Long Tail with the Social Committee at my School-as we were discussing the need to have common events that we could all relate to as a staff(such as attending a movie together--or a Twins game). My colleagues right away could grasp onto the idea of no more "shared water cooler events." Someone even mentioned that we had been trying to discuss a show two of us watched, and our conversation was stopped by those that had DVRed it, and had yet to watch it. Everyone wanted to know what the solution was. Hoping to find one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment