Thursday, October 25, 2012

"The internet is too open. People now want an internet that is more stable, the same way they want an automobile or refrigerator or hair dryer that's stable. When people have the choice of an appliance that behaves nicely like the iPhone, they'll move to that. I'm afraid we'll lose the innovation and 'generativity' of the internet." ---Zittrain

Photo by Plan de Alfabetización Tecnológica Extremadura

Maybe I heard this wrong--but this quote seems like such an oxymoron to me. 

On one hand, he says we want a more stable internet--and Zittrain has strong arguments for how that could happen. He gives examples of a community working together to avoid the bad things of the internet. Yet, he also says that he is afraid we will lose the innovation and gerativity of the internet. 

And the scary thing is, I understand where he is coming from. His fear of the internet falling apart, creating computer zombies until no one uses the web anymore because there is so much junk out there--could be a valid point. The idea of the community of web users working together to evaluate websites is an interesting one (hmmm... did you catch my Minnesota use of the word interesting there?!) Basically, I'm not too sure what to think of this idea. Part of me says Wikipedia works well, and it is accurate--so maybe this would be a great thing for the internet. Secretly, I think this is the part of me that read Nicholas Carr last week, and is still a bit freaked out by some of the bad things that can happen with the internet.

The other more rational side of me, connects with losing the innovation of the web. Part of what I love about the internet is that anyone can publish. My students love to create their own web sites to show their learning. I also love to publish on the web. I wonder who will decide what is quality and what is not. My students are in the learning process--and I as a researcher would not use their information as a source. However, they love to share their learning in an authentic way with their family and friends.

As a librarian, I feel like it is a big part of my job to teach my students how to evaluate the information they find on the internet. I don't see the internet changing anytime soon--to be regulated. So, we need to teach our students to evaluate the information they find and use on the web--and to make good decisions based upon the tools they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment